Here’s a scary thought: Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Have you had a furnace tune-up for this winter season? EEK! We’re getting ready for Halloween and thought we’d start frightening people a little early.
But here’s the thing you guys – Carbon Monoxide poisoning is a real concern. It could happen in your home. As the months are cooling down, it’s time we talk about the dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning, and what you can do to prevent it.
First, it’s important you know that your air conditioner isn’t going to contribute to this problem. Air conditioners don’t burn fuel or produce Carbon Monoxide (sometimes referred to by its chemical formula, CO). But your heating equipment does (normally a furnace). So as the temperature drops and you start turning up the heat inside, you’re more likely to have a Carbon Monoxide concern. The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CSPC) states that more than 150 people in the US die each year from Carbon Monoxide poisoning.1 It’s called the Invisible Killer because it’s a gas that is colorless, odorless, tasteless, non-irritating, and can be fatal. There are many ways that Carbon Monoxide can be a problem in your home systems, but all of them have the same outcome: Carbon Monoxide leaks or builds up or leaks…unless the systems are properly maintained with a seasonal furnace tune-up.
Carbon Monoxide poisoning happens when a person (or any oxygen-dependent being, like your pets) inhales combustion fumes. When there’s too much Carbon Monoxide in the air you’re breathing, your body takes that and replaces the oxygen in your red blood cells with Carbon Monoxide. Obviously, that’s a bad thing. Without the necessary oxygen, your organs can’t function and your body will shut down. Even if the levels of Carbon Monoxide inhaled aren’t high enough to be fatal, it can still cause serious illness. But there are things you can do to prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. Get a furnace tune-up or inspection today!
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has a whole list of ways to prevent Carbon Monoxide poisoning.2 So does the CSPC.3 And the United States Environmental Protection Agency.4
The top two things on everyone’s list are always the same: buy and install Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarms, and have heating or furnace tune-up done regularly. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, they say; so we join with the CDC, CSPC, and the EPA and recommend at least yearly tune-ups on your home’s HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) system. Ask your technician to closely check your heat exchanger. All of our technicians are trained to make sure that there are no heat exchanger leaks. This type of leak is the most common cause of Carbon Monoxide leaks and we always take care of our customers. We take the threat of Carbon Monoxide poisoning very seriously and we want to keep you and your home safe with a furnace tune-up.
If you are concerned about the risk Carbon Monoxide, haven’t had your HVAC system serviced recently, haven’t had a furnace tune-up, or are just gearing up for the winter season and the inevitable need for the heater, give Precision Air & Plumbing a call or schedule your appointment for a furnace tune-up.
We’re ready to help keep you and your family safe!
(est. value $200)
We want to help you learn about about all things air conditioning and heating! Have any questions or want to see us write about something? Give us a call, chat, or email and we'll do our best to help you out.